We will start to accept application for fiscal 2021 grant in October, 2020.
Project Categories for Grant
TIFO supports projects that promote understanding of Japan, and divides them into the following four categories:
- Symposia and seminars.
- Cultural programs.
- Research and studies.
- Programs that train students who will promote international understanding of Japan.
Please apply, as described below, only if your project fits one or more of these categories.
- Non-profit organizations capable of performing the proposed project that has or will have a bank account in its officially registered name into which to receive the grant.
- Projects that meet TIFO's objectives mentioned above (Project Categories for Grant)
- Projects, or a discrete part of a continuing project, that can be completed within one fiscal year (April 1st of one year to March 31st of the following year), with the proviso that funding for discrete parts of a continuing project will be eligible for funding for a maximum of three consecutive years.
※ The following are ineligible and will not be accepted.
- Applications from individuals
- Application for expenses to stay in Japan for an extended period
- Points of attention
- Applicants who have received support for three consecutive years become ineligible to receive support for a fourth year under the same program. This measure enables TIFO to extend support to as many applicants as possible by de-emphasizing repeated long-term funding to the same recipients. Other than exceptional projects where TIFO finds compelling reasons for continued support for over three years, a guiding principle of TIFO’s grant policy is not to award grants for four consecutive years. While we do not regard such applications as ineligible, they are much less likely to receive support.
- For multi-year projects of up to three years duration, the Selection Committee will evaluate the project each year and decide whether or not TIFO will continue to extend support.
- The entire award founded in the amount of grant for the project must be used for the stated project purpose only. TIFO grant amounts are determined on the basis of specific estimate contained in applications, and we expect grant funds are not to be used to pay for any costs other than those expressly detailed in the application.
October 1st to November 30th, 2019 (both Japan time)
- November 30th, 2019
- Application deadline
- February 2020
- Selection of projects for funding for fiscal yser 2020 by Selection Committee
- March 2020
- Approval of the selected projects by the Board of Directors and notification to the applicants
Toshiba International Foundation has an independent selection committee that selects the most appropriate projects for funding from among the applications and makes recommendations to the Board of Directors.
（As of 1 August, 2019）
|Chairman||Nobuhiko Shima (Journalist）|
|Members||Yoko Ishikura (Professor emeritus, Hitotsubashi University)|
|Eiko Imahashi (Professor, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo)|
|Heita Kawakatsu (Governor of Shizuoka Prefecture)|
|Fukunari Kimura (Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University)|
|Tokiko Soma (Senior Manager, CSR Management Office, Toshiba Corporation)|
|Robert Campbell (Director-General, National Institute of Japanese Literature, the National Institutes for the Humanities)|
|Fumihiko Yamada (Professor, Nagoya University of Foreign Studies)|