How to Apply/Application Form Download
Project Categories for Grant
TIFO supports projects that promote understanding of Japan, and divides them into the following four categories:
- Symposia and seminars that promote international understanding of Japan
- Cultural programs that promote international understanding of Japan
- Research and studies that promote international understanding of Japan
- Programs to foster future experts who will contribute to promoting international understanding of Japan
Please apply, as described below, only if your project fits one or more of these categories.
- Non-profit organizations
- Organizations that have or will have a bank account in its officially registered name for the remittance of grant.
- Projects that meet TIFO's objectives and the above mentioned project categories for grant. The project should deepen understanding of Japan, especially overseas.
- Projects, or a discrete part of a continuing project, that can be completed within one fiscal year (April 1st of one year to March 31st of the following year).
- Ineligible cases
The following are ineligible and will not be accepted.
- Applications from individuals
- Application for a lump-sum grant for the same project over a period of more than three years.
- Application for expenses to stay in Japan for an extended period
- For multi-year projects of up to three years duration, apply every year. The Selection Committee will evaluate the project each year and decide whether or not TIFO will continue to extend support.
- Applicants who have received support for three consecutive years become ineligible to receive support for a fourth year under the same program. This measure enables TIFO to extend support to as many applicants as possible by de-emphasizing repeated long-term funding to the same recipients. Other than exceptional projects where TIFO finds compelling reasons for continued support for over three years, a guiding principle of TIFO’s grant policy is not to award grants for four consecutive years. While we do not regard such applications as ineligible, they are much less likely to receive support.
- The entire amount of grant must be used for the execution of the awarded project purpose only. TIFO grant amounts are determined on the basis of specific estimate contained in applications, and grant funds shall not to be used to pay for any costs other than those expressly detailed in the application.
October 1st to November 30th (deadline), 2021 (both Japan time)
Grant Calender (Outline)
|1st October to 30th November||February||March||April||~March|
Toshiba International Foundation has an independent selection committee that selects the projects for funding from among the applications and makes recommendations to the Board of Trustees.
（As of September, 2021）
|Chairman||Nobuhiko Shima (Journalist）|
|Members||Eiko Imahashi (Professor, Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, University of Tokyo)|
|Heita Kawakatsu (Governor of Shizuoka Prefecture)|
|Fukunari Kimura (Professor, Faculty of Economics, Keio University)|
|Robert Campbell (University Professor, Waseda University)|
|Fumihiko Yamada (Professor, Nagoya University of Foreign Studies)|
|Tokiko Soma (Expert, Sustainability Management Division,Toshiba Corporation)|
How to Apply
- Before downloading the grant application form, please make sure that the project you wish to fund falls into one of the Foundation's grant categories and that you meet the eligibility requirements.
- Download Application Form.
- Fill in all necessary items in the Application Form.
- After you fill in the Form, upload the document on to our website.
- After Application Form has been uploaded without any trouble, “Thank you” message will be displayed on the web.
E-mail will not be delivered.